During our current sermon series ‘Joseph: The BIG Picture Guy’ we are posting questions to help you think about the scripture passage. For Week 9 on November 18th we looked at Genesis 47:1-12 on Respect. (Recordings of the sermon will be available in the foyer of the church).
We invite you to use some or all of the following questions as you consider this scripture:
1. Think about who Joseph showed respect to and why in this passage of scripture. What helps you to have respect for someone?
What causes you to lose respect for someone?
Who do you consider you have respect for?
2. How much courage does it take to go to someone who has power or position or control over some part of your life and speak to them or ask them for something?
Why do we sometimes feel intimidated?
Why do many of us struggle with authority?
3. Jacob, Joseph and his brothers all lived with uncertainty about their circumstances all their lives. Even now they have only come to live in Egypt for a while (Verse 4). How does the story of Joseph and his family help us and teach us to live with uncertainty, with growing older, and with change?
4. In verse 9 Jacob describes himself as a pilgrim. With what do you associate being a pilgrim?
Have you ever considered yourself to be a pilgrim?
5. Read and consider Hebrews 11:13-17.
6. Micah 6:8 How do you consider you walk justly in your life?
What issues of Justice are there that we should address as a church family?