Advent week 1 Are You Ready…..?
Questions for week beginning December 2nd
These are some questions you may like to discuss in your group or consider individually following the sermon this week. It is not intended that you consider all of them in one sitting and it is suggested that alternatively you could use them as a daily devotional throughout the week.
1. What does advent mean to you? Are there particular things you do that mark out this time of year?
2. What does the bible teach us about remembering significant life events such as birthdays, anniversaries, deaths, other big events.
3. How real to you is the promise of Jesus’ return? Does it affect the way you live?
Make a list of the things that you think God is saying that would help us to live in advent readiness:
a) As a church
b) As individuals
How can we encourage each other in these things?
4. What do you think of the Bible Society’s Advent Challenge? You can find it online at https://www.biblesociety.org.uk/get-involved/adventchallenge/
Is it a good thing? Are there any dangers? Have you signed up?
5. In Matthew 1:20 the angel of the Lord tells Joseph ‘Do not be afraid’. This is a frequent phrase in the bible used when God wants to give assurance.
What are your fears this Christmas?
Consider Philippians 4:4-7 and Matthew 6:25-34.
How are we taught to deal with fear, worry, anxiety?
How does praying help and why is it so important to us individually and as a church?
6. What areas in your life do you think God is saying you need to grow in through advent? Have you taken a spiritual health check recently and looked honestly at your relationship with Him? How do you think you could grow more? You may want to talk about this one to one with someone you consider a mature Christian.
7. Who are the people who have helped you in your spiritual journey and faith in this last year? Remember to pray for them, and if possible, say thank you.