King Street Baptist Church launched The Building Project on Sunday September 8th 2019. We toured the building in small groups to see what our trustees have agreed should be repaired or replaced, following our surveyor’s advice. The work falls broadly into three phases:
- Phase 1: Replacement of all the single glazed wooden windows at the rear of the church.
This involves the toilets, kitchen, office and two in the back room. Many of the current windows are rotten in places and it would make sense to replace them all at the same time with double glazed units. This will give the added benefit of improving security and warmth whilst also reducing ongoing maintenance.
- Phase 2: Main Sanctuary Windows
Many of the large windows in the main sanctuary are in urgent need of repair due to rot and missing putty and all need painting externally. Some walls also need repointing in places and there are some minor roof repairs to undertake.
- Phase 3: Internal Redecoration of the Main Sanctuary
The sanctuary area is badly in need of redecoration internally along with some minor plaster repairs.
At present the overall total cost for the project is estimated to be between £55,000 – £60,000. This will be funded from:
- Existing money held by the church for building work
- Individual financial gifts
- Individual financial loans
- Fundraising events
- Charitable Grants
We have already started applying for grants but these and the money we already have will not cover all the costs. If you are reading this and want to help, there are three main ways:
- Pray! As a church we commit all our plans to God’s leading and guidance, so prayer is essential. Regular prayer points will be available.
- Give financially. Please mark any gift clearly for “The Building Project” or use the building project gift envelopes provided at the church. If you do not attend the church but want to give, please use our Donate page, or contact us at email@example.com or through any of the other means on our Contact page
- Fundraising ideas. Please let the Church Trustees know if you have any ideas for fundraising.
We see our buildings as key to our work within the town, particularly due to our town centre location. As our Minister Rev Sally Sago says:
‘This project is exciting as it comes at a time when, as a church, we are seeking to open our building on a more regular basis in order to engage with the local community as well as work together with other churches and organisations across the town of Thetford and its surrounding villages.’